Wednesday 3 October 2012

9 March in Scotland

The Royal Standard was raised at Dumfries by Montrose. His army of 5000 men marches on Glasgow... or so they say The Declaration: Scots, I am now in arms for his Majesty on the same principle as I have been in arms for the Covenant: for the defence and maintenance of the true Protestant religion, his Majesty's just and sacred authority, the fundamental laws and privileges of Parliament, the peace and freedom of the oppressed and enthralled subject. Knew I not perfectly his Majesty's intentions to be such, and so real as is already expressed, I should never have embarked myself at all in his service. Nor, did I but see the least appearance of his Majesty's change from these resolutions or any of them, I should never continue longer my faithful endeavour in it. James Graham, Marquess of Montrose, Earl of Kincairn, Lord Græme, Baron of Montdeu, Lieutenant-Governor and Captain-General for His Majesty of the kingdom of Scotland Montrose